Saturday, April 23, 2016

Will: Spencer Ball

WILL OF SPENCER BALL
Prince William Co., VA
Will Book N, Page 426
Will date 1 January 1831; Probate date 4 June 1832

In the name of God amen. I Spencer Ball of Prince William County and State of Virginia being now in perfect mind and memory do make this my last will and testament in the following manner and form revoking all other wills by me heretobefore made. 1st. I give to my son Francis Waring Ball, my boy Robert son of Aggy. 2. I give to my daughter Elizabeth Lucy Carter her choice of all my women. 3rd. I give to my son Alfred Ball, my man Armstead. 4. I give to my daughter Louisa Ball my woman Suckey daughter of Chloe, with her increase. 5. I give to my daughter Adeline Ball my woman Maria Sally's daughter with her increase. 6. my daughter Frances Tasker Lewis having now in her possession a mulattoe woman called Polly with her children (on loan) which woman and children were sometime ago sold by the sheriff and conveyed to Mr. Carter who purchased them for and on my account no conveyance having been heretofore made of the said negros it is my request that Mr. Carter may convey his title to my beloved wife to dispose of at her death as she shall see proper; but my request is that my daughter Lewis shall still hold the negroes (on loan) until her death.

Particular circumstances rendering it at present impracticable to make such a distribution of our joint Estate as would be desirable and just confiding entirely on the prudence of my beloved wife, to make a proper and suitable distribution hereafter. I give and bequeath to her all the rest and residue of my Estate of every kind whatever, and as I owe no debts, which may not be immediately paid. I desire that no inventory or appraisements may be made thereof and that she shall give no security as Executrix. I recommend to my beloved wife to consult with her brother Mr. Geo. Carter whenever she may want advice in conducting any of her affairs as I have no doubt that she will at all times find him willing to give her such information and advise as will be for her benefit - - lastly, I appoint my beloved wife whole and sole executrix of this my last will and testament revoking all others by me heretofore made. In witness whereof I hereto ___ my hand and affix my seal this eleventh day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty one.

SPENCER BALL (seal)

acknowledged in presence of
JOHN H. COCKRILL
JOSEPH SUDDOTH
EDWARD L. CARTER

At a Court of Quarterly sessions held for Prince William County the 4th day of June 1832. This last will and testament of Spencer Ball decd. was proved according to law by the oaths of Joseph Suddoth and Edward L. Carter witnesses thereto, and is ordered to be recorded.

Teste
JNO. WILLIAMS C.P.T.

And at a court held for said county the 1st October 1832.

On the motion of Betty L. Ball the Executrix named in the last will and testament of Spencer Ball deceased who made oath to the said will and entered into and acknowledged a bond (without security according to the testators request it appearing to the court that he has left sufficient property to pay his just debts) in the penalty of $40,000 conditioned as the law directs certificate is granted her for obtaining a probate of the said will in due form.

Teste
JOHN WILLIAMS


No comments:

Post a Comment