Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Will: James Abell (1812)

JAMES ABELL Will
Prince William County Will Book K, pg. 178
14 May 1805; proved 07 Dec 1812

I JAMES ABELL of Prince William County and State of Virginia being at this time in perfect health and sound mind thanks be to the Allmighty for the same, do hereby make ordain and publish this my last will and testament expressly hereby revoking & disannuling all others heretofore made by me.  Item I give and bequeath to my daughter JANE the feather bed she now uses & all the furniture belonging to it a cow & calf also the weaving loom & tackle a deep pewter dish & half a dozen pewter plates.  Item I give and bequeath to my daughter MARY the feather bed she now uses with all the furniture belonging to the same also her choice of a cow & calf, a deep pewter dish and half a doz. Pewter plates also a horse by the name of Frederick, a womans saddle & bridle.

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter CECELIA, WILLIAM COPIN’s wife a feather bed and furniture.  Item I give and bequeath to my son WILLIAM a feather bed and furniture.

Item I give & bequeath to my daughters JANE & MARY all the provisions which may be in the house at the time of my death as also all the grain of every kind in the house or a growing and all the stock which may be up a fattening at the time of my decease, and all the residue of my estate not allready disposed of after my just debts & funeral expenses are paid shall be divided amongst my children as follows, one fourth part shall be given to my daughter JANE, one other fourth part shall be given to my daughter MARY & the other two fourths shall be divided in three parts, and one third of said two fourths shall be given to my daughter ELIZABETH wife of JOHN SINCOCKS, one third of two fourths shall be given to CECELIA wife of WILLIAM COPIN, and the other third of two fourths shall be given to my son WILLIAM ABELL.  Lastly I constitute & appoint my good & worthy friend STEPHEN HOWISON whole & sole executor of this my last will & testament & as I am clear of debt I request that he be not obliged to give security upon his administration & my further will & desire is that my executor if he thinks proper may not sell my estate only to have it appraised & divided amongst my children – agreeable to the appraisement & in such proportions as I have before directed them to receive it & if any dispute as to choice in any of the property not specifically disposed of let them draw lotts.  In Testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this fourteenth day of May eighteen hundred and five.

JAMES ABELL  {seal}

Signed sealed and acknowledged in presence of us

WM. BARNES
WILLIAM SMITH
THOMAS CHAPMAN

At a Court held for Prince William County Dec. 7th 1812

This last will and testament of JAMES ABELL decd. was presented to the Court by STEPHEN HOWISON JUNR. and being proved by the oaths of WILLIAM BARNES and WILLIAM SMITH is ordered to be recorded.  And it appearing to the Court by the oath of WILLIAM ABELL that the STEPHEN HOWISON mentioned in the said will as Exor. was intended for STEPHEN HOWISON JUNR.  Therefore the said STEPHEN HOWISON JUNR. came into Court and having took the oath of an Executor certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.  The Court having dispensed with security it appearing by the last will and testament of said JAMES ABELL that his Executor should give none.

Teste, J. WILLIAIMS


No comments:

Post a Comment