Friday, August 1, 2014

Will: Jean Maddox (1794)

JEAN MADDOX Will
Prince William Co. Will Book H, pg. 113
10 Dec 1793; proved 4 September 1794

In the name of God Amen I JEAN MATTOX of the Town of Dumfries in the County of Prince William & State of Virginia perfect & sound in mind do make this my last Will & Testament and do renounce all former Wills made by me and do wish and desire my property to be disposed of after my death in manner following to wit.  Item and give to my daughter MARGARET TRIPLETT my negro woman named SARAH and her children to wit, ELLENDEN & TOM to have and to hold them and their increas forever and all my household of furniture and all my stock of cattle consisting of two milk cows.  I give and bequeath to JOHN COCKE son of WILLIAM COCKE Sarah’s youngest child by the name of JOE To him and his heirs forever and I wish that that my daughter and her heirs shall peaceably enjoy the above mentioned property named to her, and JOHN COCKE the property named to him, and I appoint WILLIAM COCKE  my executor to this my last Will and hop that he will act and do for my daughter the best in his power.  In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 18th day of December in the year of our Lord 1793.

JEAN [his mark] MADDOX  {seal}

Signed, sealed & delivered in presence of

JAMES MCDONALD
ROBERT WATERS
HUGH FORBES

At a Court continued and held for Prince William County the 4th day of September 1794.

This last will and testament of JEAN MADDOX decd. was presented  to the Court and being proved by the oaths of JAMES M. MCDONALD and ROBERT WATERS was ordered to be recorded.  WILLIAM COCKE Executor in the said Will appointed came into Court and renounced his Executorship.

Teste,


ROBERT GRAHAM  Cl. Cur.

No comments:

Post a Comment