Monday, July 14, 2014

Will: Edward E. Carter (1821)

EDWARD E. CARTER Will
Prince William County Will Book L, pg. 407
20 Nov 1820; proved 01 Oct 1821

I EDWARD E. CARTER of Cloverland, Prince William County at this time laboring under a serious illness at Vermont of which I apprehend the consequence to be fatal, and being desirous of disposing of such worldly estate as it hath pleased God to bestow on me, in the manner in which I wish it to go, in case I do not recover, do make and ordain this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all wills heretofore made.  Imprimis. I give devise and bequeath to my brother SHIRLY the whole of my tract of land called Cloverland, including the mill, with all the slaves, stocks of every kind, farming implements and all the rest of my personal property to him and his heirs forever, he paying all my just debts.  Item I give and devise to my brother CASSIUS, that tenement now occupied by MAY WASHINGTON under a lease for lives to him and heirs forever.  Item in testimony of the love and affection I have to my sister MARY WALKER I give and bequeath to her one thousand dollars to be paid her by my brothers SHIRLEY and CASSIUS in equal portions out of the property before given to them.  Item I desire that my brothers SHIRLEY and CASSIUS shall repay to my present overseer BAZIL TAYLOR in twelve months after my decease the sum of five hundred dollars, to enable him the better to provide for the wants of his family.  Lastly I constitute and appoint my two brothers SHIRLEY and CASSIUS Exors of this my last will and testament.  In testimony whereof I have hereunto subscribed my name and affixed my seal this 20th day of Nov. 1820.

EDWD. E. CARTER  {seal}

Signed sealed and acknowledged in presence of
E. BROOKE, A. B. SCOTT, HENRY T. DIXON

At a Court held for Prince William County Oct 1 1821

This last will and testament of EDWARD E. CARTER decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oath of EDMUND BROOKE is ordered to be certified.

At a Court held for said County January 7th 1822.

This last will and testament of EDWD. E. CARTER decd. was presented to the Court and being fully proved by the oath of HENRY T. DIXON is ordered to be recorded & CHARLES SHIRLEY CARTER the Exor. named in the said last will and testament came into Court and made oath to the same according to law and performed what is usual in such cases certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.


Teste, PHIL. D. DAWE

No comments:

Post a Comment