Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Will: Benjamin Dawson (1827)

BENJAMIN DAWSON Will
Prince William County Will Book  M, pg 479
01 Dec 1825; proved 05 Feb 1827

I BENJAMIN DAWSON of Prince William County and State of Virginia being of sound mind do make this my last will and testament hereby revoking all others heretofore made.  Item 1st It is my will and desire that the debts due from me to George Chapman, Thomas Foster & Henry M. Lewis they being the principal debts shall first be paid and all other just debts.  Item 2nd. I give and bequeath unto my son BENJAMIN DAWSON in trust for the use and benefit of my daughter NANCY DAWSON a negro girl named Mary during her life and at her death I give Mary and her increase to my son BENJAMIN DAWSON and his heirs upon condition that he takes care of his sister Nancy.  In no event is Mary to be taken from my daughter Nancy.  She is not to be estimated in the widows dower nor subject to my debts unless my other property should prove insufficient.  Item 3 It is my will and desire that after all my just debts are paid that my wife LINDSAY DAWSON shall have on third of my property during her life and at her death it is to descend to my two children by her namely GEORGE CHAPMAN DAWSON and SUSANNA FOSTER DAWSON.  Item 4. In consideration of the services rendered me by my son Benjamin Dawson, I give and bequeath unto him and his heirs a negro boy named Daniel.  Item 5th It is my will and desire that the remaining part of my property after allotting the above legacies shall be sol and the proceeds arising therefrom be appropriated to the payment of my debts and if found insufficient then the residue to come out of my son Benjamin’s legacy.  Should the property thus allotted for my debts produce more than a sufficiency I desire that the surplus may be equally divided between my son BRADFORD DAWSON, FANNY BOOTMAN, BETSEY SHIRMAN, and HETTY MOORE and be considered their proportion of my estate.  Item 6th It is my will and desire that my Executors hereafter named shall pay out of my estate to my daughter ELIZA CROUCH ten dollars as her proportion of my estate.  I hereby constitute and appoint my friends George Chapman and Thomas Foster my Executors to carry my will in effect.  In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 1st day of Dec. 1825.

BENJAMIN DAWSON

In the presence of
SAMUEL ROBINSON, ELIZABETH  HALL, G. CHAPMAN, THOMAS FOSTER

At a Court held for Prince William County this 5th day of February 1827.  This last will and testament of Benjamin Dawson deceased was presented to the Court by Thomas Foster one of the Executors therein named and being proved by the oaths of Samuel Robinson and Thomas Foster is admitted to record, and the said Thomas Foster having made oath to the same according to law and having taken the oath of an Executor and performed what is usual in such cases certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.


Teste, P. D. DAWE

No comments:

Post a Comment