Friday, March 14, 2014

Friend of Friends Friday: Will: Strother Suttle (1792)

STROTHER SUTTLE Will
Prince William Will Book H, pg. 45
22 Aug 1792; proved 3 Dec 1792

In the name of god amen I STROTHER SUTTLE of Prince William County and State of Virginia being in a low state of body tho of a sound mind and memory thanks be given to almighty god for the same but calling to mind the uncertainty of this mortal life do make this my last will and testament in maner and form following that is to say I give and bequeath my soul into the hands of almighty god my maker and my body to the grave to be decently buryed by my Exors. And as for such worldly goods and estate as the Lord has been pleased to bestow on me (after my just debts is paid) and give divise and bequeath in manner and form following.

Item I give and bequeath to my son WILLIAM SUTTLE one Negro man slave named NACE one negro man slave named JACK the latter to be free if he is the longest liver and behaves himself well as a slave.

Item I give and bequeath to my grandson HENRY HAMPTON SUTTLE two Negro girls to wit SIBBY and ALLEY and one mare colt named Sophie.

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter ANN RENO one Negro girl named DINIAH and after her death to my grandson WILLIAM RENO.

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter MARY WATSON one horse named Wistar.

The balance of my estate whether real or personal I give to my beloved wife during her life or widowhood only that SAMUEL WATSON and his family is to live with her and take care of the estate so long as she liveth and after her death the said Watson to possess all my write and title to the plantation and land whereon I now live.  My will and meaning is that after the death of my beloved wife ELIZABETH SUTTLE the whole of my estate left in her hands during her life (except the land divised to Saml. Watson) be equally divided between my three children  to wit WILLIAM SUTTLE, ANN RENO and MARY WATSON.  My meaning is that none of the before mentioned property shall be liable to any execution for debt that is or may be contracted by any of my children and lastly I hereby nominate and appoint my son WILLIAM SUTTLE sole exc. Or this my last will and testament.  Given under my hand and seal this 22nd of August in the year of our Lord one thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety two.

STROTHER [his mark] SUTTLE  {seal}

Signed and Sealed in the presence of us

JOHN ANDERSON
LEWIS BELL
REBECKAH [her mark] KITCHEN

At a court held for Prince William County the 3rd day of December 1792.  This last will and testament of Strother Suttle deceased was presented to the Court and proved by the oaths of John Anderson and Lewis Bell and ordered to be recorded and at a court held for the said County the 7th day of January 1793 David Renoe and Samuel Watson two of the Executors named in the said will made oath there to according to law and having performed what is usual in such cases certificate was granted them for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Teste,


ROBERT GRAHAM Ct. Cur.

No comments:

Post a Comment