Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Will: Robert Thurman (1817)

ROBERT THURMAN Will
Prince William County Will Book L, pg. 70
11 Oct 1817; proved 03 Nov 1817

In the name of God Amen I ROBERT THURMAN of Prince William County and State of Virginia being of sound mind and memory do make this my last will and testament as follow.  I give and bequeath unto my loving wife ELIZABETH THURMAN all my estate real and personal during her natural life and after her death to my children.  To my son EDMOND I give and bequeathe four hundred dollars payable in twelve months after the decease of my wife.  I also give and bequeath unto my grand daughter ANN FRANCIS, daughter of WM. THURMAN deceased the sum of two hundred dollars.  I also give and bequeath unto my son THOMAS a negro boy named AMOS.  I also give and bequeath the unto my son SANFORD the following negroes BARNETT, NAT and DANIEL.  I also give and bequeath unto my son JOHN a negro man named HENSON.  I also give and bequeath unto my daughter CATHERINE the following negroes SILVEY and JESSE.  I also give and bequeath unto my daughter PEGGY FEWELL the following negros ANN and her child SINAH.  I also give and bequeath unto my son JAMES the following NELL and ISAAC.  I also give and bequeath unto my grand children ELIZABETH FEWELL, WILLIAM FEWELL and ROBERT THURMAN son of JOHN a negro girl by the name of MARIAH.  I also give and bequeath unto my children THOMAS, SANFORD, and CATHARINE each one feather bed and one cow and calf.  I also give and bequeath unto my son SANFORD my lease called Thomas Lot.  I also give and bequeath unto my sons THOMAS and JOHN my Lease called Seales Lot.  I also give and bequeath unto my following children THOMAS, JAMES, JOHN, SANFORD, PEGGY and CATHARINE the balance of my estate to be equally divided between them after the death of my wife.  I appoint my sons THOMAS & SANFORD sole Executors of my estate, given under my hand this eleventh day of October in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and seventeen.

ROBERT THURMAN  {seal}

Signed, sealed and acknowledged in the presence of
SAML. HANCOCK, J. W. WILKINSON, BENJAMIN JOHNSON, WILLIAM L. WILKINSON

At a Court of Quarterly Sessions held for Prince William County Nov the 3rd 1817.  This last will and testament of RBT. THURMAN decd. was presented to the Court and being proved by the oaths of JOHN M. WILKINSON and WM. L. WILKINSON, was thereupon admitted to record and –

At a Court held for said County Feby 2nd 1818, THOMAS THURMAN one of the executors named in the last will and testament of ROBT. THURMAN decd. came into Court and made oath to the same according to law, and having taken the oath of an executor and performed what is usual in such cases, certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Teste,  PHIL. D. DAWE


No comments:

Post a Comment