Monday, August 8, 2011

Will: Joseph Butler

Joseph Butler Will
Prince William County
Will Book H, Pages 50-52
22 Sept. 1788, Probate 8 Jan 1793

In the name of God amen I Joseph Butler of Prince William Count state of Virginia being in perfect health do make publish and declare this my last Will and Testament as touching what wordly Estate it hath pleased almighty God to bestow upon me My Will and desire is to bestow in the following manner.  First My will and desire is that my just debts be honestly paid.

2. Item I give and devise unto my loving wife Anna Butler my whole Estate both real and personal during her widow hood and after her deceas or marrage, To be disposed of in manner and form following --

3. Item I give and bequeath unto my son James Carter Butler five pounds current money to be laid out in cloths for him to ware. This is to be done by my Exors. hereafter mentioned--

4. Item I give and bequeath unto my Joseph Butler one shilling sterling money --

5.  Item I give and bequeath unto my son William Butler one shilling sterling money --

6. Item I give and bequeath unto my son Charles Butler one shilling sterling money --

7.  Item I give and bequeath unto my son Laurance Butlers deced' children Sarah Anne Joseph Jacob Colvert and Mary Colvert a negroe man named Jack to be equilly divided amongst them which negro I have already made a Deed of Gift to them.

8.  Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Catherine Botts one shilling sterling money--

9.  Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Francis Barker one shilling sterling money--

10.  Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Ann Butler the following negroes to wit Lydia, Charlotte, and Preston one bed and furniture, a chest of drawers, a ceeder table, a square leef oval walnut table and a square walnut table after the Death of her mother and should my daughter Anne die without heir lawfully begotten then my will is that my daughter Mary Carter shall have the whole Estate given to my daughter Anne Butler.

11. Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Mary Carter the following Negroes to wit Hanna, Silvie, Ruth and Sam after the death of her mother and should my daughter Mary carter die without heir lawfully begotten then my will is that my daughter Anne Butler shall have the whole Estate given to my daughter Mary Carter.

12.  Item my will is that my loving wife shall dispose of the following slaves at her death as she may think proper to wit Will, Phill, Daniel, Elijah, Cate, young Jude and Old Jude -- Revoking disanuling all will before this I constitute and appoint my loving wife and my son in law David Carter Executors of this my last will and Testment.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this Twenty second day of September one thousand seven hundred and Eighty Eight.

Jos. Butler {seal}

Witnesses present
Spilsby Stone
Benjamin Stone
Jesse Stone
Margaret Stone

At a court continued and held for Prince William County the 8th [?] day of January 1793. This Last Will and Testament of Joseoph Butler Deceased was presented to the Court by Ann Butler his Widow the Executrix therein named who made oath to the same according to Law and the same being proved by the oaths of Spilsby Stone and Jesse Stone is admitted to record and the Executrix having performed what is usual in such cases certificate is granted her for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Teste.  Robert Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment