Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Will: Philip DAWE

PHILIP DAWE Will
Prince William County Will Book I, pg. 415
21 Dec 1808; proved 02 Jan 1809

I PHILIP DAWE of the Town of Dumfries do declare this to be my last will and testament.

1st my will and desire is that all my just debts be first paid.  2ndly I give and bequeath to my dear wife during her natural life as follows the house & lot on which I now reside including the corner house on Water Street & the ground attached to it the tract of land about a mile and a half from Dumfries called Cabbin Branch Farm & negroes CATY, FRANK, & ROBERT.  I further give unto my dear wife one hundred dollars cash.  3rdly I give unto my brother WILLIAM DAWE of London one hundred pounds to him and his heirs forever.  4th I give unto my son WILLIAM DAWE my shop & all my tools belonging to the watch & silver smiths business.  5th The residue of my estate both real and personal I desire may be divided into six equal parts by valuation and that four of my six children viz. BETSY JOHNSTON, NANCY DAWE, PHILIP DEVEREX DAWE & WILLIAM DAWE each receive to themselves & their heirs forever one sixth part of said division & that the other two sixth parts I give & bequeath to my two sons PHILIP DEVEREX DAWE & WILLIAM DAWE in trust for my daughters JANEY WILLIAMS & POLLY HEDGES during their lives & then to their children viz. the profits arising from the one sixth in trust for my daughter JANEY WILLIAMS to be applied to her use & the other sixth in the same manner to POLLY HEDGES in both cases as my trustees may think proper.  Lastly I constitute and appoint my two sons PHILIP DEVEREX DAWE & WILLIAM DAWE Executors of this my last will and testament.  In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this 21st day of December eighteen hundred & eight.

PHILIP DAWE  {seal}

Signed sealed and acknowledged in presence of
JOHN SPENCE
WILLIAM SMITH
THOMAS CHAPMAN
JOSEPH R. GILBERT

At a Court held for Prince William County January 2nd 1809

This last will and testament of PHILIP DAWE decd was presented in Court and being proved by the oaths of WILLIAM SMITH and THOMAS CHAPMAN is ordered to be recorded and the Executors therein named made oath to the same according to the law and having taken the oath of Exors. And performed what is usual in such cases certificate is granted them for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Teste
J. WILLIAMS  Ct. Cur.

No comments:

Post a Comment